This season, I’m craving hygge.
I know, I know. It’s a buzz word. But it doesn’t change the fact that I’m craving it.
I’ve loved this type of lifestyle forever, I just didn’t know how to sum it up in one word until recently. But enjoying life’s simple pleasures with good food, good company, and good conversation is Heaven on earth for me. Throw in the idea of feeling safe, warm, cozy, and happy with all of the above and why would anyone NOT want this? No matter what it’s called.
So my list of Winter essentials this year all center around hygge.
1. Cozy slippers. My favorites are these knitted ones from Soft Surroundings. Absolutely wonderful.
2. Woodsy scented candles. December typically finds Cinnamon scented candles on display everywhere but Woodsy scents are always my favorite. Currently burning “Golden Woods” by Royale Classics
3. Warm apple cider. Sometimes I go for hot chocolate or even hot chocolate with bourbon but this year, I’m feeling apple cider the best. You can make it homemade but I’m not that good so I buy the standard store bought HEB kind. Still delicious.
4. Chili or Gumbo. I’m not usually a big fan of soups/stews/etc. Oh I eat them, and sometimes I like them. But I know some people that all they ever want to eat in winter is soups/stews. I’m not one of those people. But I do love me a good bowl of chili or gumbo on a cold winter’s night. Pair it with some homemade Irish soda bread and you have the key to my heart. And stomach.
5. AHAVA mineral hand cream. In the winter, my hands get dry. This hand cream leaves my hands feeling luxurious and moisturized without feeling greasy. The scent is just alright, if I’m being honest. It smells very fresh. Like baby powder fresh. Some people like that smell – It’s not my favorite. But again, how it leaves my hands feeling is worth it to me so it makes the list of Winter Essentials.
6. A roaring fire in the fireplace. On super cold nights, I love a real fire. But living in Texas, those nights are sometimes few and far between. When it’s rainy and winter-y but not quite cold enough for a real fire, I actually use Netflix and put on a fire “show” and read a book in front of it.
7. A good book. Whatever that means to you. Grab yourself one this season and curl up next to the fire or under a blanket (or both!) and read away. I recently joined the Cozy Reader’s Subscription Box to feed this obsession. I’ll let you know what I think of it when I get my first box. They said next month!
8. Family oriented TV shows and movies. There’s something about the holiday season that always makes my desire for time with family even more heightened than it usually is. I do believe Hallmark has capitalized on that. Their movies and TV shows they air around this time of year just make your soul feel good. Current Favorite is When Calls the Heart. I’m also binging on an old Hallmark show, Cedar Cove when waiting for the next season of When Calls the Heart. I highly recommend both shows.
9. Planning for Spring. Ok, I know this one sounds weird as I’m usually a big fan of enjoying the moment and the season you’re in but hear me out. I have had something that I’ve wanted to do for a VERY long time. We’re talking years here. And I’m tired of postponing it because I either run out of time, didn’t plan ahead, or whatever other excuse comes up. SO, this year, I’m planning ahead. I’m being very vague here on purpose because I want this to be a surprise for friends and family and they are likely the only ones reading this blog. 🙂
10. A warm comforter. I LOVE how I wake up in the morning and feel warm and cozy. And my down comforter with the crisp white duvet cover is to thank for that. Invest in a good blanket for the winter. If you’re anything like me, you’ll wake up with a smile on your face because of it.
There you have it folks, my top 10 Winter Essentials for a good opportunity to hygge.